You’ve called out a few estate agents as you’ve found the house of your dreams. You have most probably been dreaming of selling for the last 18 months, dropping it in conversation with the partner, knowing your house no longer fits your life. The cupboards are overflowing, the kitchen is tired and the effort of re-decorating is exhausting just thinking about it, as it will make no difference to the storage you are missing and won’t increase the size of the garden for your ever increasing family. You scrolled through Rightmove whilst the tea was in the oven and you stumbled across ‘the one’. The one with the chic kitchen, the one with the garden through french door onto decking, with views over rolling fields and a two car driveway. It’s not too far from what you can easily afford and your mortgage provider has given you the green light to move.
So there’s just one thing remaining – You need to sell your home quickly.
What you need is: To Sell: Quickly, Easily & for the Most Money. Sounds simple?
You can have each of these in some degree and yes in some cases you can have all three, but what if you could only choose 2?
- Quickly for the Most Money is rarely easy
- Most money and Easy is rarely Quick
- Quick and Easy is rarely the Most money
Thankfully you don’t have to choose two, you can work a little harder at fist to set the foundation and try and
Setting the foundation for a sale is not easy at first, BUT will make the sale easier in the long run. So what can you do to make it as easy, quick and achieve higher prices? Here’s my top tips for getting your way.
- Clean – Viewers like to comment on the cleanliness of a property almost every time. Pay particular attention to floors, skirting boards, kitchens and showers! If you can keep these in tip top condition your viewers will be giving you top marks and top prices. Keep Glass streak free, windows dirt free and carpets stain free. A one off deep clean for your carpets will work wonders.
- Mend everything – Viewers like to test kitchen doors and drawers so easy opening and closing is very important.
- De-clutter – giving people the space to imagine their own items in there with just a warming hint of personality works wonders. Think down shelves, throw out stuff from the back of built in cupboards and get yourself ready for the move will help not just during viewings but on moving days too. There’ll be less to pack.
- Show each room as your buyer will expect – If a family is more likely to buy, make sure bedrooms are bedrooms and the dining room features a dining table. Don’t make them do the hard work. Make it easy for them to just make one decision – an offer.
- Photograph on a blue sky day – while the sun is at it’s highest in the sky. – This will be a cheerful way to encourage more viewers – people like things that make them feel happy.
- Perk up your kerb appeal – add bright flowers, clear dead leaves, spruce up wooden windows, weed, cut the grass and paint the gate and front door
- Amazing brochures set the tone of the home. A premium brochure will make the home feel special and stand out against other brochures they have received.
- Staging – “the goal of staging is to make a home appealing to the highest number of potential buyers, thereby selling a property more swiftly and for more money.” – get it right.
Of course having some crystal clear photographs is super important too to capture your buyers from the instant they see them. Check out agents photos before you instruct to ensure you are getting the right exposure.
“Being able to spot issues, solve them and stage & present homes in the best way gets the best prices possible. I’ve been doing this with VMOVE for years getting my wonderful clients into their dream homes. Our client’s Nikki & Steve we’re delighted when we sold theirs in just 4 days. They had done it back to front too, and found the house of their dreams, before putting their home on the market. They were amazing clients to work with and they got the house they loved, preparation is key. ”
Ps: If you loved this blog – get your free ebook here! It’ll explain how to get higher prices, has some seriously useful checklists and will show you how to choose the right agent for you.
Pps: Fancy checking out the value of your house in less than 60 seconds? Click here for your Instant Online house price check
Loved this post? Why not try this one Top 5 Things to hide on a viewing